Join Birth Monopoly’s
A community where doulas empower and support each other to take the profession forward
With a focus on timely issues facing doulas in an ever-changing landscape
Hosted by Cristen Pascucci, advocate for women’s rights in childbirth, speaker, writer, founder of Birth Monopoly, former vice president of Improving Birth, co-creator of the Exposing the Silence Project, and partner with Human Rights in Childbirth
Community: the heart of your membership
– A “support group with skills,” adapted from after a Permissive Counseling communication model developed by a nationally known trauma expert, based on the idea that each of us has the innate ability to heal ourselves… given the right support and tools. Each member of Doula Power has access to a short how-to on Permissive Counseling and agrees to practice that model: giving each other loving attention and following a few simple guidelines.
– A unique, structured environment where doulas can open up about their own trauma and learn to process it in a healthy way. In this simple but powerful system adapted for birth by Nekoke Shapiro, we heal by helping each other heal.
– Safe, supportive, private online space… drama-free by design. Doulas need a safe, respectful place to address their secondary trauma to make this work sustainable and allow the profession to move forward. Let’s do it together!
– Each month, video and discussions on timely topics like horizontal violence, doulas as advocates, hospital-doula contracts, white privilege in birth, how nurses and doulas can work together, and more
– Guest experts like Rebecca Dekker, PhD (Evidence Based Birth), Hermine Hayes-Klein (Human Rights in Childbirth), Jen Kamel (VBAC Facts), and more
– Free access to Birth Monopoly classes and resources, including 3 Things Every Parent Needs to Know About Hospital Birth (with the scoop on consent forms and hospital policy)
See our Community Discussion Guidelines and more on Permissive Counseling
Members Are Saying…
– This group is the place I can go when doula work is painful and hard. I did not have a safe, supportive, neutral, healing place to process the unique pain and challenges of doula life before Doula Power. I came here to learn how to support my local doula community effectively, and I discovered just how much healing and growing I needed to do myself.
– The best thing about this group are the people in it, their commitment to being open, honest and vulnerable (even and especially when it is hard).
– I love that people here seem truly interested in self-awareness and offering non-judgmental support. I value the consistent commitment to monitoring and gently guiding- often through very authentic modeling of the process by Cristen. I get Nekole [Shapiro]’s quiet guidance and I appreciate learning and growing together…within a larger birth community that has been (in my experience) rife with bully behavior.
– I’ve recommended this group to several women I know. It is hard to explain sometimes why a paid group makes sense.
What is being done here is so important. The support I feel during my hurt, in my ignorance, and while searching I haven’t found anywhere else. The thought process of how to be present for others and respond in a supportive way is something I’m still working on… but it is a vital skill I don’t see anyone else teaching and I feel very lucky to be able to practice here in a safe space.
$319/year $239/year until May 15, 2017 | Access to our group for support, plus monthly topics and materials on issues that affect you. One month free each year with this option. $29/month $21.75/month until May 15, 2017 | Access to our group for support, plus monthly topics and materials on issues that affect you. Help shape the profession with us, from the inside out!
Get on the Wait List!
Registration re-opens late 2017
Guarantee: You may pause/resume or cancel your membership at any time.
Frequently Asked Questions
We are happy to help! If you have a question that isn’t answered here, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Someone will get back to you just as soon as is possible.
I don’t understand how the group works… Is it like therapy?
Think of it more like a support group with skills. It’s not like traditional therapy where a professional “heals” a client–it is a group effort where each member learns how to “counsel” other members. The beauty of it is that the practice of helping others to heal literally helps us to heal. You can read more about Permissive Counseling here, and our Community Discussion Guidelines are here.
I don’t think I’m ready to counsel anybody. Is it hard to do?
It’s not easy, but it’s simple. Anyone can learn it and practice it, and we will be learning together. You will learn step by step through a short course what it’s all about and how to do it, and you’ll have support. And there are no demerits for messing up–messing up is often how we learn! This is a safe, nonjudgmental, compassionate space. If you want to learn the method, you can.
I’m having a baby! Should I cancel my subscription and re-register in a few months?
You don’t have to! We’ve made it possible for you to pause and resume your membership at any time. This option is located in the Subscriptions tab on your Account page.
I work as a doula but haven’t certified this year/don’t plan to certify. Can I still join?
Yep. If you’re supporting birthing families, this is a place for you to learn, support others, and be supported.
I certified with _____. Does it matter what organization I’m certified with?
I’m not a doula but I want to be a part of this! Can I join without being a doula?
If you are an advocate, educator, nurse, midwife, or other individual interested in joining, please email us at email@example.com and tell us about yourself and why you think this group is for you. It’s important to us to keep this space safe and focused, but we will consider non-doulas on a case by case basis. Please note, your inquiry (although not your identity) may be put to the group to decide together whether we believe it’s a good fit for everyone.
I haven’t received my invitation to the group yet. What do I do?
Please give us 1 to 2 business days to process your registration. If you haven’t received an invitation in two days, contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I missed the promotional price! Can I still get a discount?
No, sorry. After May 15, 2017, that rate is no longer available. However, you may sign up on our waitlist to be notified about special rates in the future, and the next time the group opens for membership.