Are you tired of the drama and fighting in your community?
… Overwhelmed by the trauma you’re witnessing and experiencing?
… Feeling powerless, helpless, and undervalued?
Do you want to spend your energy on healing–rather than complaining?
… Supporting your doula colleagues instead of bickering with them?
… Changing the system instead of being sucked in to it?
Do you need a place to speak freely, be heard, and be understood?
Join Birth Monopoly’s
A community where doulas empower and support each other to take the profession forward
With a focus on timely issues facing doulas in an ever-changing landscape
Hosted by Cristen Pascucci, advocate for women’s rights in childbirth, speaker, writer, founder of Birth Monopoly, former vice president of Improving Birth, co-creator of the Exposing the Silence Project, and partner with Human Rights in Childbirth
Community: the heart of your membership
– Modeled after a Permissive Counseling communication model developed by a nationally known trauma expert: based on the idea that each of us has the innate ability to heal ourselves… given the right support and tools. Each member of Doula Power has access to a short how-to on Permissive Counseling and agrees to practice that model: giving each other loving attention and following a few simple guidelines.
– A unique, structured environment where doulas can open up about their own trauma and learn to process it in a healthy way. In this simple but powerful system adapted for birth by Nekoke Shapiro, we heal by helping each other heal.
– Safe, supportive, private online space… drama-free by design. Doulas need a safe, respectful place to address their secondary trauma to make this work sustainable and allow the profession to move forward. Let’s do it together!
– Each month, video and discussions on timely topics like horizontal violence, doulas as advocates, hospital-doula contracts, white privilege in birth, how nurses and doulas can work together, and more
– Guest experts like Rebecca Dekker, PhD (Evidence Based Birth), Hermine Hayes-Klein (Human Rights in Childbirth), Jen Kamel (VBAC Facts), and more
– Free access to Birth Monopoly classes and resources, including 3 Things Every Parent Needs to Know About Hospital Birth (with the scoop on consent forms and hospital policy)
See our Community Discussion Guidelines and more on Permissive Counseling
BEST DEAL: $319/year | Access to our group for support, plus monthly topics and materials on issues that affect you. Get one month free each year with the annual membership.
$29/month | Access to our group for support, plus monthly topics and materials on issues that affect you.
Help shape the profession with us!
Registration re-opens March 2017!
Get on the Waitlist for March's membership special...
Guarantee: You may pause/resume or cancel your membership at any time.
Frequently Asked Questions
We are happy to help! If you have a question that isn’t answered here, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Someone will get back to you just as soon as is possible.
I don’t understand how the group works… Is it like therapy?
Think of it more like a support group with skills. It’s not like traditional therapy where a professional “heals” a client–it is a group effort where each member learns how to “counsel” other members. The beauty of it is that the practice of helping others to heal literally helps us to heal. You can read more about Permissive Counseling here, and our Community Discussion Guidelines are here.
I don’t think I’m ready to counsel anybody. Is it hard to do?
It’s not easy, but it’s simple. Anyone can learn it and practice it, and we will be learning together. You will learn step by step through a short course what it’s all about and how to do it, and you’ll have support. And there are no demerits for messing up–messing up is often how we learn! This is a safe, nonjudgmental, compassionate space. If you want to learn the method, you can.
I’m having a baby! Should I cancel my subscription and re-register in a few months?
You don’t have to! We’ve made it possible for you to pause and resume your membership at any time. This option is located in the Subscriptions tab on your Account page.
I work as a doula but haven’t certified this year/don’t plan to certify. Can I still join?
Yep. If you’re supporting birthing families, this is a place for you to learn, support others, and be supported.
I certified with _____. Does it matter what organization I’m certified with?
I’m not a doula but I want to be a part of this! Can I join without being a doula?
If you are an advocate, educator, nurse, midwife, or other individual interested in joining, please email us at email@example.com and tell us about yourself and why you think this group is for you. It’s important to us to keep this space safe and focused, but we will consider non-doulas on a case by case basis. Please note, your inquiry (although not your identity) may be put to the group to decide together whether we believe it’s a good fit for everyone.
I haven’t received my invitation to the group yet. What do I do?
Please give us 1 to 2 business days to process your registration. If you haven’t received an invitation in two days, contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I missed the promotional price! Can I still get a discount?
No, sorry. After October 15, 2016, that rate is no longer available.